Reinforced by the crisis:
10 recommendations for the hotel industry after the corona lockdown
A crisis is also always an opportunity. An opportunity for change, reorientation and transformation. The effects of the current corona crisis are undoubtedly massive and drastic for the entire hotel industry.
After the initial shock of the current developments, we have decided to continue as before with much more energy and drive – in the interest of our customers, who are still convinced of our product and in the interest of our employees, who have made Hotelbird what it is today: the market leader in digital check-in/out solutions for hotels.
As such we see it as our task to go through this crisis together with our hotel partners. Our 10 recommendations are designed to help hotel operators to identify the potential for optimization in their operations during the forced standstill, to make the most of the time and to set the course for the future now.
- Change your mind: The future is digital. The years of the reception desk, where every guest has to audition and check-in personally, are over. The digital transformation is in full progress because digital services make daily business easier. They save resources and optimize your processes. What has long been standard for airlines will also be introduced at the front desk.
- Reduce unnecessary costs. Too many reception staff shifts for repeated tasks cause costs that can be saved by automated solutions. 24-hour check-in or night shifts can be economically replaced by smart solutions.
- Think about which complex processes can be digitalized and automated in the future. There is often a great deal of potential for savings here – regardless of your current system landscape. Numerous interfaces to PMS, payment and locking system providers allow hoteliers to work decentrally and guarantee a 100% guest journey.
- Keeping your distance is the order of the day. But hygiene is not only important in times of Corona, it also plays a major role in hotels at all times. Here too, contactless check-in/out can score enormously.
- Secure your profitability even at low occupancy rates. The number of business trips will decrease permanently. Even after the current lockdown, it can be assumed that many companies will continue to use inexpensive technical solutions such as video conferences instead of approving comparatively expensive business trips. Hotels can compensate for this loss by relying on automated solutions.
- Concentrate your resources and save yourself the trouble of managing and collecting check-in data. These tedious, manual processes can simply run in the background and save you a lot of time in your operations.
- Get to know your guests better and try to meet their individual wishes and needs. According to the current DSGVO regulation, guest data is collected and managed. So you are legally on the safe side and can pass this security on to your guests. Additional options are available to address your guests in a personalized way.
- Use the time of low utilization for improvements to the house or processes. Make yourself independent of a fragmented error-prone technical landscape that only costs additional effort and expense. Put outdated, complex or expensive systems to the test.
- Invest in a newly designed reception area. It is usually the first thing guests see in a hotel and should radiate comfort and elegance with high functionality. With our new Self-Service Terminal, we immediately upgrade every reception and offer an individual digital solution for check-in. The low-cost digital reception assistant is reliably operational 24/7 and provides five valuable services: check-in, digital registration form, keycard distribution, payment and check-out.
- The value of preventive crisis management becomes apparent in the crisis. In order to create security for the future, companies should prepare for it now – for a digital experience and sustainable cost reduction.
The Hotelbird team will advise you free of charge and show you how you can efficiently save costs and remain profitable at low capacity occupancy rates. Get a first impression in our Hotelbird Self-Service Terminal product video. Arrange a video call with our experts today.
Arrange a personal appointment
We are here for you
If you have any questions regarding the digitalization and simplification of your hotel processes, we are always at your disposal. We would be happy to advise you on how to make your hotel business fit for the future.
Your Juan A. Sanmiguel
FOUNDER & CEO